1300 302 499 |       

Smoke Alarm Testing and Electrical

Do I need an electrical certificate to sell my house?

In Australia it is recommended when buying a home to get an electrical inspection. It is not included in a building and pest inspection and it not compulsory.  

As part of the home transformation and building inspection we will pick up visual electrical issues like: the light switch is broken, fans not working, air conditioner is making the wrong noises etc.  We are not qualified to do more than a visual inspection. If we think you need one we will tell you as part of our duty of care.

A comprehensive electrical inspection may involve the following:

  • Determining any electrical hazards
  • Checking for uncovered permanent wiring
  • Checking for any exposed wires
  • Checking for outdated wiring
  • Testing safety switches
  • Examining the power box
  • Checking safety switches
  • Testing power points and lighting
  • Evaluating the level of electrical service
  • Assessing whether the home includes any DIY wiring
  • Noting the location of smoke alarms and testing them
  • Scanning for any electrical items that don’t comply with current government regulations

A renovator or bargain hunter will use an electrical inspection as part of making sure the home is structurally in good condition. If it is not then they will use it to negotiate a reduction in price on the sale of the home.

Emotional buyers want a low maintenance home and will appreciate a building report that states that we did not find any visual electrical issues and if we did we had an electrician in to carry out the repairs.  

When it comes to the electrical component of your home it’s best to leave it to a licenced professional. At Swift Home Sales, we have an electrician on the team.  It makes selling my home much easier when Alan is on speed dial.

We are happy to carry out repairs and provide warranties. Also can do electrical inspections if and when required.

Smoke Alarms

Part of home staging is getting the maintenance work done. In Queensland it is a requirement that the home is compliant with hard wired working smoke alarms. So part of the home transformation process is to make sure the compliance things are ticked off the list and you have a certificate to show the buyers that there is one less thing needed before they move in.

Other major item we will look for is if the home has safety switches and regular maintenance has been done by a qualified electrician.  

If the following is brought to our attention we ask the seller to get an official inspection

  1. The house is over 25 years old
  2. If there is old wiring
  3. DIY electrical work has been carried out.

Most importantly, always use a licensed electrician.  Better to be safe when selling a house.

Call Now ButtonCall Now